Episcopal Relief and Development
Episcopal Relief and Development is the agency of the Episcopal Church dedicated to international relief and development.
First established in 1940 as the Presiding Bishop’s Fund for World Relief (PBFWR), the organization assisted European refugees during World War II and later went on to support Palestinian refugees, children in Estonia and displaced persons in Germany and Hungary. It also provided disaster assistance and supported small development projects world-wide. The organization was renamed Episcopal Relief & Development in 2000 to emphasize its disaster relief efforts and a new focus on community development. Since their adoption in 2006, it has striven to support the Church's Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) which are aimed at reducing extreme global poverty by 2015.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Episcopal Relief & Development supported reconstruction projects in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.[It 3] It has a longstanding partnership with the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti, of which the key component has been the Haiti Development Initiative. Immediately following the 2010 earthquake, Episcopal Relief & Development worked with the Diocese and other organizations to provide assistance to thousands who were left injured or homeless. Since the quake, Episcopal Relief & Development work shifted to meet the longer-term needs of those affected.
For more information of to donate in support of the agency’s mission please go directly to its website, www.eiscopalrelief.org.